Drip Irrigation Kits
Subsistence farmers depend entirely on annual rainfall. If rain is consistent, food will be available for the family for the entire year. With a home drip irrigation kit, families become self-reliant - no longer victimized by weather patterns.
A drip irrigation kit is a simple piece of equipment, resembling two elevated plastic refuse bins with 100 meters of tubing. Some of the advantages are::
- Drip irrigation uses precious water more efficiently - reducing runoff and evaporation and increasing percolation, or evaporation
- Reduces water contact with crop leaves, stems, and fruit, reducing diseases
- Increased yield and quality
- Agricultural chemicals can be applied more efficiently with drip irrigation
- Precise application of nutrients can reduce fertilizer costs and nitrate losses can be reduced
- Nutrient applications can be better timed to meet plants' needs
There are now 531 families in rural Zimbabwe growing enough food to feed their extended family year-round with confidence. These recipient families were selected by the IS&L Community Facilitators and met the following criteria in order to be selected.
- Physically able to fill the drip kit basins
- Within walking distance of a year round water source
- Caring for orphans or people living with HIV/AIDSPLWA
- Able and willing to attend training sessions to learn to use and maintain the Home Drip Irrigation Kit.
The drip irrigation kits improve the effectiveness of gardening by producing more crops while simultaneously using less water and labor. With agriculture skill training from ASAP, a 10 meter x 10 meter home garden will produce nearly 600 kgs of vegetables per year, which will often leave surplus to sell after filling the needs of the family. With the help of ASAP and a simple drip irrigation kit each family now can look within themselves and find independence, pride and even a little extra income.
By providing a single drip kit with training, ASAP provides a family with the knowledge and tools to meet their own nutritional needs and improve household food security.